Re: [SI-LIST] : differential signals

Andy Burkhardt (mail@polar.co.uk)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:53:37 -0800

At 10:06 AM 24/03/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:28:51 +0800
>From: wangyanfang <wangyf@ustc.edu.cn>
>To: signal integraty <si-list@silab.Eng.Sun.COM>
>Subject: [SI-LIST] : differential signals
>Sender: owner-si-list@silab.Eng.Sun.COM
>Yanfang Wang wrote:
>
>Hi,
>I am dealing with Gbit backplane project using transceivers with
>differential sigal lines. I want to know more abot broad side coupled
>versus edge coupled. Would Ms. Susan Tweeton or someone else to help
>me?
>Thanks
>Yanfang Wang
>Fast Electronics Lab
>University of Science & Technology of China,
>E-mail: <wangyf@ustc.edu.cn>

>si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
>http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****

Inner layer mis-registration can be a problem with thin line width
broadside
coupled lines. Edge coupled lines tend to be easier in production to
achieve consistent results.

A free evaluation version of a differential impedance calculator is
available
at http://www.polar.co.uk
Both edge-coupled and broadside-coupled lines are modelled in various
configurations using Boundary Element Method (BEM) field solving
techniques.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Andy Burkhardt
Product Manager
Email: mail@polar.co.uk
Tel: + 44 1481 253081
Fax: + 44 1481 252476
http://www.polar.co.uk
World leaders in PCB faultfinding and controlled impedance measurement