The picturesque village of Frikes is built on a valley, 13 km northwest of the island's capital. The beauty of the village and the beach make this area a popular resort, during the summer.
The traditional preserved settlement of Kioni is situated 24 km north of the island's capital. The houses are built in a traditional Ionian style; a number of them survived the earthquake which shook the Ionian Islands in 1953. Kioni is probably the most beautiful village in Ithaki.
One should visit the lovely churches of Agios Ioanis Lambadiaris, Evaggelistria and Agios Nikolaos, at Mavronas, a few kilometers from Kioni.
In the last few years, Kioni has become one of the most crowded, touristic resorts on the island.
Stavros is a large village of 750 inhabitants, built on the northern part of the island, 16 km away from the capital. In the center of the village, the church of Sotiras is most visible while, before it, the lovely square attracts all the inhabitants. It is believed that the ancient city of Ithaki and Ulysses's palace once stood here, a fact confirmed by the area's archaeological findings. On the location of Pilikata, one kilometer away from the village, one can see the ruins of the ancient settlement. The area's archaeological findings are exhibited in a small collection. Near Stavros, in the Loizos Cave, several excavations have shed light upon ancient relics such as certain ceramics, tripods and the ruins of a temple.
Vathi, Ithaki's capital, is built on the southeastern part of the island, in a quiet and windless bay. Homer testifies that this is the location of the ancient city of Phorkys. After the earthquake in 1953 which shocked the Ionian Islands, the town of Vathi suffered severe damage and the locals were obliged to rebuilt it.
The most significant sight-seeing in the town are the metropolis, with the lovely wood-carved icon-stand, the small archaeological museum, the library and Odysseas Androutsos' house. In the port, there is the beautiful islet of Lazareto, with the small church of Stavros, which housed a prison and a quarantine.