A wealthy businessman named Col. Howard Greene found a prime piece of property in Waukesha County, Wisconsin in 1902 and purchased around 230 acres that eventually became the Brook Hill Farm, located near Genesee Depot. Genesee Depot is located near the center of the county. It was already an operating farm at the time Col. Greene bought it, complete with farmhouse, but he hired a prominent architect Andrew Eschweiler, of Milwaukee, to design a new one built with native stone.
This was when milk was delivered right to your front
door, and dairies like Brook Hill could be found all over America. Farms
like Brook Hill shipped by rail. The Genesee Depot area had connections
with railroads dating back to 1851, when the Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad
laid tracks. Once the area had rail service, commerce flourished and the Genesee
Depot area boomed. The milk was pasteurized and bottled, or made into
other products such as ice cream and butter, and later- the whipped creams in
aerosol cans that we are all familiar with. (It was quite a novelty at the
time!) The finished products were loaded aboard refrigerated rail cars and
rushed to bigger cities for delivery the next morning.
Back to Brook Hill Local Post page
Back to KGØYH's Polar Philately Page
QSL/KGØYH page created 03 August 2009, 0322Z