HIAWATHA AMATEUR RADIO ASSOCIATION
CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
SECTION 1: NAME
1. The name of the club shall be the Hiawatha Amateur Radio Association of
Marquette County, hereafter referred to as the club.
SECTION 2: OBJECT
1. The purpose or purposes for which the club is formed to:
facilitate the exchange of information and general cooperation among members,
promote radio knowledge, fraternalism and individual operating efficiency,
further the exchange of information and cooperation between law enforcement
and emergency preparedness personnel, lessening the burdens of government in
providing much needed communications in times of emergency and or disaster,
as well as to be of service to the community at large, and to conduct club
programs and activities so as to advance the general interest and welfare of
No part of the net earnings of the organization shall inure to the benefit of,
or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private
persons, except that the organization shall be authorized and empowered to
pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and
distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in the purpose clause
hereof. No substantial part of the activities of the organization shall be the
carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation,
and the organization shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the
publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of
any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of this
document, the organization shall not carry on any other activities not permitted
to be carried on (a) by an organization exempt from federal income tax under
section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section
of any future tax code, or (b) by an organization, contributions to which are
deductible under section 170 (c) (2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or
corresponding section of any future federal tax code. Notwithstanding any other
provision of this document, upon dissolution of the corporation or organization,
assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning
of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section
of any future tax code.
ARTICLE 2: MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1: MEMBERSHIP QUALIFICATIONS
1. All persons actively interested in amateur radio shall be eligible for
membership. Each prospective member must express willingness to abide by the
by-laws and such rules as shall from time to time be promulgated by the club.
2. Classes of membership; membership shall consist of two classes, full and
associate. Full membership shall be limited to those holding a current amateur
radio license and residing in Marquette County. Associate membership shall
consist of those amateurs not living in Marquette County as well as any
unlicensed individual regardless of his or her residency, who may be accepted
for membership in this association but who do not have voting privileges.
ARTICLE 3: CLUB OFFICERS
SECTION 1: TITLES
1. The officers of the club shall be the President, Vice-President, Secretary,
and Treasurer. The club shall also have three Board Members all of whom shall
be full members, one of whom shall be elected as provided in Article 4. The
second and third Board Member positions will be filled by the current club
Emergency Coordinator (EC) and the past-president. If the EC and/or past-president
are unable to fill a Board position, the vacancies will be filled by the election
process as state elsewhere in the by-laws.
2. Officers may be removed by 75 percent vote by the membership on a secret ballot.
3. Any officer or member electing to withdraw from the club or their position
must submit to the Secretary a resignation, in writing.
4. Vacancies occurring between elections must be filled by special election at
the first regular meeting after the regular meeting at which the resignation
SECTION 2: DITIES OF THE PRESIDENT
1. The President shall be the chief executive officer of the club, performing
all administrative duties incident to the office of the President.
2. He shall preside at all regular and special meetings.
3. He shall enforce all rules and regulations of the club and shall, with
the consent and approval of the club members, appoint all officers and
servants not otherwise herein provided for.
4. With the consent and approval of the membership, he shall appoint all
committees, select the chairman of each such committee, and fill any vacancies
in such committees by appointment. He shall be an ex-officio member of all
5. With the Secretary, and in his capacity as chief executive officer of the
club, he shall sign all obligations, letters and instruments of the club,
and shall have general supervision of the club and its management.
SECTION 3: DUTIES OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT
1. In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall perform his
duties, and if the office of the President should become vacant, the
Vice-President shall hold such office until the next election.
SECTION 4: DUTIES OF THE SECRETARY
1. The Secretary shall perform all administrative duties incident to the club
office of Secretary.
2. The Secretary shall sign all instruments requiring his/her signature as
a club officer.
3. The Secretary shall conduct or cause to be conducted, all official
correspondence of the club and shall see that such correspondence is
properly preserved and filed until otherwise disposed of by the Board
4. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings.
5. The Secretary shall keep or cause to be kept, a club record in which shall
be entered an accurate listing of all members' names, callsigns, addresses
and telephone numbers.
6. The Secretary shall turn over all monies collected to the Treasurer of
7. The Secretary shall perform all other duties as may be required by the
SECTION 5: DUTIES OF THE TREASURER
1. The Treasure shall perform all administrative duties incident to the
office of the Treasurer.
2. He/she shall sign or countersign all such instruments as may require
his/her signature as a club officer.
3. He/she shall be the custodian of all club funds, and deposit all club
funds in a depository to be designated by the members.
4. He/she shall disburse the club funds as authorized by the Board. He/she
shall keep or cause to be kept, proper vouchers of all sums disbursed,
and complete information as to the financial condition of the club.
5. Upon request by the board, he/she shall submit to the Board complete
information as to the financial condition of the club, and at regular
meetings, shall submit a complete statement of the club's financial
affairs to be approved by members present.
6. He/she shall perform such other duties as may be assigned to him/her
by the members.
SECTION 6: DUTIES OF THE BOARD
SECTION 7: COMPENSATION
1. No salary or other compensation shall be paid or promised to any
officer or member of the club, unless specifically provided for by
action of the members.
ARTICLE 4: ELECTIONS
1. Nominations for the offices may be made by any member of the club
at the September meeting. A second motion of nomination must be also
addressed to the members. The nominees may or may not accept the nomination
2. The election of the four officers and the Board shall be held at
the October regular meeting of the club, and shall be by written ballot.
The voting shall be administered, and the ballots counted by two tellers
appointed by the President and approved by the members present by a
majority of the vote for that purposes.
3. Only club members present and in good standing may vote. Office is
declared by majority vote.
ARTICLE 5: MEETINGS
SECTION 1: ANNUAL CLUB MEETING
The annual club meeting shall be held in a designated place determined
by the Board on the first Thursday of October, for the election of
officers, and the transaction of other business which may be brought
before the meeting for action.
SECTION 2: SPECIAL CLUB MEETINGS
Special club meetings shall be called by the President or the Board of Officers.
Special meetings shall be held at a time and place within Marquette County,
to be determined by the Board. The club Officers and Board members shall
agree upon a mutual date and time to hold at least one executive board
eeting per year.
SECTION 3: REGULAR CLUB MEETINGS
Regular club meetings shall be held on the first Thursday of every month,
unless otherwise designated by the President and the Board. Only members
present may vote on matters of the club. No proxy votes will be taken.
SECTION 4: ORDER OF BUSINESS AT CLUB MEETINGS
Regular club meeting order of business shall be as follows: call to order,
welcome new members, reading of unapproved club meeting minutes, reading
of Treasurer's report, report of committees, old business, new business,
good of the club, complaints, or any other business that may come before
it and adjournment.
SECTION 5: PARLIAMENTARY RULES
In the conduct of all meetings, ROBERT'S RULES OF ORDER shall prevail.
ARTICLE 6: COMMITTEES
SECTION 1: FORMATION AND GENERAL RULES
1. Standing committees and other committees shall be appointed by the
President with the authority of the members.
2. Committee and or chairman vacancies shall be filled by appointment
by the President.
3. Each committee shall be composed of as many members or officers, or
both as the Board may determine.
4. No committee shall have the authority to obligate the club in excess
of budgeted amount established for its use by the club.
5. All committees shall report on their activities to the Board and/or
members upon request of the Board at regular or special meetings. All
committees shall be subject to supervision and control by the Board,
having only such authority as is expressly defined herein delegated by
ARTICLE 7: DUES
SECTION 1: FEES
1. Dues of fifteen dollars per year shall be paid by full members; twenty
dollars per year for family full membership; seven dollars and fifty cents
per year for full-time students under the age of twenty-five; ten dollars
per associate members and fifteen dollars per year for family associate membership.
2. FOR NEW MEMBERS ONLY dues paid before May 1st will expire on August
31st of the same year, with dues paid after May 1st your membership will
be good until August 31st of the following year.
3. Our club year starts on September 1st and ends August 31st
SECTION 2: NON-PAYMENT
Non-payment of dues shall be cause for expulsion from the club.
ARTILCE 8: QUORUM
A quorum at a meeting shall be any two officers and five full members in
good standing. Such a number must be present in order that business can
be legally transacted. The quorum refers to the number present, not the
ARTICLE 9: AMENDING THE BY-LAWS
SECTION 1: PROCEDURES FOR AMENDING
These By-Laws may be amended by a majority vote at any regular meeting
or special meeting. Proposals may be made by any member and shall be in
writing, and be in the best interest of the club. They will be read at
a regular meeting, but may not be voted on until the next regular meeting.
(Revised and Updated as November 03, 2006)