POSTAL ADDRESS: P.O. Box 45681, Nairobi - 00100, KENYA.


back home



        For information on Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda licensing, please see below the Kenya details.  These three countries, with Kenya and Burundi form the East African Community and we hope the details may be useful to potential visitors.  Regretfully we have no recent information on procedures in Burundi.  The offices concerned are all completely separate from each other for licensing purposes and must be approached directly.  Requirements may change without notice.  We have so far been unsuccessful in obtaining approval of reciprocal interterritorial use of licenses for amateurs moving around within the Community.   In Kigali, the Rwanda Amateur Radio Union is now represented by Capt. James Abaine whose local telephone is 0788 303796.      



The License Application Form can be downloaded from the CA website (   It is also available from RSK by e-mail in .pdf format if downloading it from the CA site proves difficult, or by post.   A new form and slightly different requirements (CA/F/FSM/02) is effective from mid-July, 2014.




1.   The visitorís country must have diplomatic relations of some kind with Kenya, at any level

2.   The applicant must hold a valid and current license from the country of citizenship, equivalent to the Kenya Full license (i.e. not Novice or "above 30 MHz only" 

3.   The completed application form must be submitted with the non-refundable application fee of K.Shs.1,000, photocopies of the license and passport, BOTH PHOTOCOPIES DULY CERTIFIED by a Commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public or equivalent, together with similarly certified English translations of documents where necessary.†† The sworn affidavit is NOT required from foreign visitors.

4.   The license fee of K.Shs.2,000 is payable on issue.  To avoid heavy charges it is usually better to pay these fees in one as K.Shs.3,000 - see below

5.   The latest information we have from CAK is that visitors' licenses will only be issued for three months to cover the usual visa period, but that can be extended for three month periods up to a year without further costs, and all licenses expire on 30th June each year.   The latest application form (November, 2012) shows a requirement for a visa, but this is presently being queried (and may have been dropped) as it has not been the case before and most visitors obtain their visas on arrival at the airport.Applicants should show the dates of their intended arrival and departure.



1.    Kenya citizens are required to submit a photocopy of the Pass Certificate of an acceptable RAE, or an acceptable, valid and current Full foreign license.  The RSGB-administered IARE is the only available exam, which can be taken in Kenya twice a year under the supervision of RSK or another authorised examination centre.   Non-citizen residents are required to submit a photocopy of a valid and current license issued by their own country of citizenship, and at present cannot obtain a Kenya license solely on the strength of a local IARE pass.   Novice or "Above 30 MHz only" licenses will not be accepted for conversion.  

2.   A photocopy of the passport showing the visa, or Kenya identity card.

3.†† Instead of supporting documents being certified by a Commissioner for Oaths or Notary Public, all local applicants must submit a sworn affidavit in the form attached to the application form on the CAK website.

4.   A Certificate of Good Conduct from the Kenya CID, or a similar document from their home country Police Force in the case of non-citizens, whose countries are also required to have diplomatic relations with Kenya.

5.   Two local references who must be members of RSK

6.   The completed application form must be submitted with the fee of K.Shs.1,000, photocopies of the license, passport and the affidavit with translations of documents where necessary

7.   The fee of K.Shs.2,000 is payable on issue of the license.  To avoid heavy bank charges it is best to pay these fees in one as K.Shs.3,000.       


Types of License:  Full licenses renewable annually on 1st July are available to qualified Kenya citizens and foreign residents of Kenya.   Novice licenses are at present available only to Kenya citizen students, but consideration on their merits may be given to other resident students.  Full visitor's licenses valid for three months but extendable for up to one year from the month of issue are available to non-Kenyans, with the callsign 5Z4/homecall.  These are not renewable as such but fresh applications can be made annually where required. 

      Applications should be sent to:-

The Director

Licensing, Compliance & Standards, CAK
P.O. Box 14448


CAK Exchange Tel: (+254 020) 4242000, Fax: (+254 020) 4242257.   The officer concerned is Mr. Etiko (direct line +254 020 4242240) or his assistant Mrs. Lucy Kungu.

LICENSE FEES:  The Kenya Novice license application fee is K.Shs.200 with no charges for issue or subsequent annual renewals.     The initial non-refundable Full and Temporary Visitor's license application fee is K.Shs.1,000 (about US$12).  On approval for issue the fee is K.Shs.2,000 (about US$24).  The whole may be paid as one lump sum (around US$37) which is likely to be cheaper in transfer charges than paying two separate amounts.   Exchange rates are very variable and should be checked.  We have been informed that convertible foreign currency such as US$ will be accepted by the CAK  as license fees.  The account for credit is: Communications Authority of Kenya, Citibank (Nairobi Branch) - Sort Code 16-000, Dollar a/c No. 3000-42-007.   The local CAK Kenya Shilling account is number 1106738608 at the Kenya Commercial Bank, Sarit Centre branch, Nairobi, account code 001141.†† (Certified bank cheques are sometimes expensive, personal cheques are not accepted by CAK and money orders are not favoured.†† The preferred payment method is cash over the counter, a bankerís cheque or company cheque.)   Please note that both Novice and Full license validity runs only to 30th June in each year, when it must be renewed, and no credit will be allowed for the period of the year prior to issue.  Visitorís licenses are issued for up to twelve months from the month of issue but ending on 30th June, validated only for 3 months which can be extended on application free of cost in that financial year.

      Applicants sending US Dollars for payments should be aware that notes dated earlier than the year 2000 are often refused for local exchange, but if accepted are liable to a much reduced rate.     

      The CAK Accounts Telephone number is; (+254 020) 4242365, Fax: (+254 020) 4251866 or through the exchange (+254 020) 4242000.       

     Licenses are issued from the CAK offices near Kabete on Waiyaki Way, the road from Westlands towards Naivasha, well signposted, and well out of the City Centre with safe parking, opposite Kianda School.
    CAK offices are open during normal office hours from Monday to Friday only. The Cash Office is open 9 am to 12 noon and 2 pm to 4 pm only.

    The RSK will give all possible advice and help to applicants but has no authority in the matter.



            This information was originally obtained from Tanzania in 2002 (updated 31st March 2007)  and is given in good faith, but all of it may not still be accurate.  Applicants should consult the Tanzania Amateur Radio Society or office of the Director General, TCRA for current requirements.

            The address of the Tanzania Amateur Radio Club (TARC) is P.O. Box P.O. Box 2958, Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania, and the last known e-mail  [email protected] .   Tel: +255 (0) 22 2153200/215174 Ext. 252,  Fax: +255 (0) 22 3152504.

            The Tanzania Communication Regulatory Authority (TCRA) issues amateur radio licences in Tanzania

            URLs available are:  and .

            The postal address is:-

            The Director General   
            Tanzania Communication Regulatory Authority
            P.O. Box 474   

Telephone +255 22 2118947/52
Fax +255 22 2116664
TLX : 41858 COMCOM TZ.
The current be-mail address is not known.
        TCRA requires the following for a visitor's licence:-

- An application form duly filled in.
You have to buy the application form directly from TCC for TSh 10 000 (1 USD is variable but
approx. TSh 1000), fill in the serially numbered application form and submit the form
with the Receipt for the TSh 10 000.
- An accompanying letter in which you ask for the licence. This letter
should also include information regarding the duration of your visit and where you
are planning to stay.
- copy of your passport
- copy of your licence
- letter(s) of recommendation e.g. from your Amateur Radio Club, from your Diplomatic Mission in Dar es Salaam, or an English translation of a Letter of Good Conduct.
- Technical specifications of your transceiver. The best thing is to copy the page with the technical specifications. You should also write the exact type of the radio.
            Upon being granted the licence you have to pay another TSh 10,000 before you
will actually receive a call-sign and the licence.



Call or write to the Uganda Communications Commission in Kampala (UCC) and complete an application  form - provide evidence of your overseas licence and make payment.   You are then issued with a receipt - at that point they will allocate a callsign and tell you that it is OK to go on the air.  This process is normally completed in less than a day.
        Getting the actual licence document through can take about 5 working days.

        The postal address of the UCC is:

Uganda Communications Commission

P.O. Box 7376





The application can be made by e mail. First step is to complete the application form (on their website) and submit it with copies of supporting documentation.†† The office will then advise whether all is in order.  About one week later you will be advised whether a licence will be agreed.

Contact can be made with Gakwandi Eurald, ICT Spectrum Monitoring Officer, RURA, Tel:

+250 788 496 152.

Payment and collection of the licence should be done in-country (ie when you arrive).First go to

RURA building to collect the invoice for payment.That is then taken to the Government Bank (ten minutes walk).The resultant receipt is then taken back to RURA where the licence will be handed over.The normal power limit is 100 W.

(Thanks to Nick, G3RWF, for this information.)

 †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††   *******