[SI-LIST] : Differential End Termination

From: Stockalis, Anthony ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 11:21:14 PST

I am investigating the ac end termination of a differential data signal. I
have reviewed section 6.4 of Howard Johnson's "Handbook of Black Magic" on
ac end terminators, and it seems that two resistors to a common capacitor to
ground is the way to go. The recommendation of the chip manufacturer is to
have a 50 ohm to .01uF capactor end termination on each line of the
differential pair. The chip is a Gigabit Ethernet Chip running at 1.25Ghz.
This capacitance value seems rather high to me, and I believe that the
common capacitor would be the correct solution. I was wondering if anyone
else has any valuable experience doing ac end terminations on differential
data lines. I have used the Mentor Graphics Interconnectix simulator, but
have not gotten very conclusive results because a random data signal cannot
be used in the tool. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony Stockalis
Marconi Communications
BXR-48000 Hardware Team