Re: [SI-LIST] : Feedback needed in TDR measurements

From: Ray Anderson ([email protected])
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 15:25:09 PST

One thing to keep in mind, if you are interested in keeping your risetime
very fast, is to make sure you place the TDR sampling head as close
as possible to the device under test.

Any lossy lines (read that coax test leads) will degrade the risetime
output by the TDR to something that may be unacceptable for your purposes.
The 35ps risetime in a Tek SD-24 sampling head is very easily degraded
to several hundred ps (or worse) by a few feet of even high quality
coax. The solution is to use a sampling head extender cable that allows
you to place the sampling head right at the probe instead of several feet
away.

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems Inc.