[SI-LIST] : Top side ground split question

From: Dale Jenkins ([email protected])
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 06:06:35 PST

Hello,
I would like any and all opinions on the following PCB topography:

1. 4 layer, FR-4
top = signal, ground fill
inner = signal, ground fill
power = split DC power plane
bottom = signal, ground fill ( mostly ground )
2. RF Receive & Transmit <500MHz + PLL, dual IF conversion

3. We have partitioned off the top ground fill to
isolate each part of the circuit ( RF amp, IF VCO's, PLL, 2nd IF,
Base band ). We also have vias to ground surrounding each section.
The RF amp, VCO's, 1st IF amp, are shielded.

We did #3 to prevent noise from swamping out the RF signal path to
improve RX sensitivity. The noise seems to come from the PLL.

Does this approach make sense or have we missed the boat!

Thanks, Dale