RE: [SI-LIST] : Chip to Chip Clocking

From: Volk, Andrew M ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 07:47:15 PST

Adam -

I forgot to mention that video (CRTs, not flat panels) uses the 48 MHz also
because of SSC on the other clocks. SSC modulates at 30 KHz and that would
beat against the video sync frequencies in a way to cause very bad jitter,
smear and distortion on the screen. Video could use the 14.31818 MHz
frequency which is the base for most clock generators. (The only constant
frequency on the PC platform from day one.) However, the frequency
synthesis PLLs on the video chip have to use large input and feedback
divisors to get all the possible video frequencies. Dividing down from a
higher frequency makes the divisors smaller and the PLL more stable.

Andrew Volk
Intel Corp.