RE: [SI-LIST] : via current carrying capacity

From: Heard, Chris ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 08:02:41 PST

This is a classic "rule of thumb" issue. I've been using 3 amps per 0.040"
pth for years. However, the use of thermal reliefs and the number of planes
connecting to the via make all the difference.

Attach 5 or 6 ground planes using 0.020" wide spokes (0.015" long) on a
thermal relief and you can pump over 15A easily into a 0.070" dia hole.

Chris