RE: [SI-LIST] : SI analysis: IBIS vs. HSpice

From: [email protected]
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 07:03:33 PST

Hi Pat,

I agree with many, if not all, at least to some degree, of your points
regarding IBIS.

However, in particular I wanted to address your concern about package
parasitics. This is a timely topic as I was going through, in excruciating
detail, the "Package Modeling" section of the IBIS 3.2 spec yesterday. I'm
wondering if you've had the opportunity to review this addition to IBIS.

It seems to me that it may address at least some of your concerns. It seems
to provide an implementation somewhat along the lines of a TOPSPEC type
model in XTK (if your familiar with that). It provides the capability to
specify transmission line length, coupling between pins, forking sections,
etc.

You can provide RLC matrices in full, banded, or sparse formats.

This is a somewhat new area for me, so I'm by no means proclaiming this a
panacea for the issues you describe, but if you have an opportunity to
review that portion of the IBIS 3.2 spec (the package model stuff is in
Section 7) I'd be curious to get your thoughts on how well this might
address your concerns on the package parasitic issues.

Now, of course assuming this is an improvement, the challenge still lies in
getting semiconductor folks to provide that level of detail (perhaps
non-trivial for a 300, 400 or greater pin part?) and then getting all the
various simulators to use the data in an intelligent manner.

Again, I agree with your concerns on IBIS shortcomings (especially with
respect to SSO phenomena). However, I guess I have an interest in hoping
that it continues to improve because in many cases HSPICE (or any transistor
level data) is simply not an option provided to us by many (actually, most)
vendors.

I'd be curious to get anybody's feedback on the shortcomings or strengths of
the IBIS 3.2 package modeling capabilities.

Regards,

Jim P.

Jim Pankratz
Dell Signal Integrity Group