RE: [SI-LIST] : Differential Impedance Effects on Diff. Return Cu rrent

From: Dunbar, Tony ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 16:23:01 PST

Franz,

In the ideal world, the first statement is valid. It is also usually the
intended operation that the designer is aiming for and assuming when a
(tightly-coupled) diff-pair is implemented. Any signal will always find its
way to a destination via the path of least impedance. This fact is most
often related to when considering the signal's return path. If the return
path through the power/ground planes offers a lower impedance path than any
other path, including the complementary trace of a diff-pair, then that
least-impedance path will be used at any points along the way or way back.

I think a key thing to keep in mind is to consider this in the
electromagnetic realm rather than simply the AC since it is the
electromagnetic coupling from the primary signal conductor to the neigboring
conductive elements within the electromagnetic field that dictates what the
return path elements will be.

I was going to move on and separately address your follow-up question but I
think I may have covered that already with the answer above (??).

Regards,
Tony