Re: [SI-LIST] : Differential Impedance Effects on Diff. Return Current

From: Martyn Gaudion ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 15:03:28 PST

Dear Franz,

Yes you are correct, if a differential pair are routed with very close
spacing the return current
is through the other "leg" of the pair.

Move the spacing further apart and if you are between planes you reach a point
where there is no coupling between the pair - and all the return current is
through the ground and power planes. Once you reach this spacing you have lost
many of the benefits of the differential pair.

You can see where the coupling reduces to zero by using a field solver
like Polar CITS25, - put some numbers in for a differential pair then move
the pair further apart until they are uncoupled..

There is further information in the newly revised booklet on controlled
impedance
PCBs which you can download as a PDF from www.polarinstruments.com

Kind regards
Martyn Gaudion