RE: [SI-LIST] : ESD Smocks

From: Ingraham, Andrew ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 08:30:17 PST

I don't see the point of a smock as a Faraday cage.

I do see good reason for using conductive clothing to *help* drain off
static charges. Even if the soles of my shoes are conductive and I'm
wearing a grounded wrist strap, the sleeve of my sweater may hold a few
thousand volts. My equipment would be safe as long as my non-conductive
sleeve never accidentally brushes anything.

Partial solutions don't necessarily help. You need a plan that encompasses
everything. Wrist straps don't help if your swivel chairs zap every time
you twist in them or roll them to the next bench.

Andy