RE: [SI-LIST] : searching for Toshiba models

From: Ken Cantrell ([email protected])
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 08:34:17 PST

Christoph,
Toshiba is not a player in the EIA IBIS Open Forum. You can get a list of
mfg's who are, at the IBIS site -
http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/roster/roster.html. Hitachi isn't on the
list(last time I looked), but is a player. We are using some proto parts of
theirs, and they busted butt to get me the IBIS files pre-release. Took a
couple of weeks, but it happened.
Toshiba isn't interested in providing IBIS files. It's a stone wall. So, I
took them off of the vendor list. Any company that is that regressive and
out of touch is a waste of our time. My suggestion to all is : take them
off of the approved vendor list. This may take a while depending on your
corporate culture, but you have to realize the stakes. You can use generic
drivers/receivers, but your sim data will not correlate worth a darn to your
empirical data, not to mention the time burden placed on the SI engineer.
You will waste a lot, that's a LOT, of time trying to modify the IBIS file
VI's to try and get good correlatation with your initial lab data. Your
schedule will slip, and if you don't make your management aware ahead of
time about why the slip will occur, you're the one that will take it in the
shorts. If Toshiba has the only part that does the job, you have to make it
clear to your groups that the schedule will take a big hit.
Toshiba doesn't seem to realize that they, like their competitors, are in a
service market. I'm sure Hitachi or any other chip maker that is living in
the 21st century, will be more than happy to provide you with parts and
files in a timely manner.
So it really boils down to: your shorts or Toshiba's. I pick Toshiba.

Ken