Re: [SI-LIST] : HIgh-speed interconnect characterization

From: Gary Otonari ([email protected])
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 10:41:34 PST

Hello Ravinder,

We've had some experience characterizing interconnects like the one you are
working on. Here are comments on your three questions:

> 1) How valid is my test setup for the type of measurements I am trying to
> make. Am I seeing an actual response of the interconnects, or will there
> be an impact of long 50 ohm cables, that I have used to connect my setup to
> signal source and oscilloscope.

The 36" cables will have a definite effect on the measurements you take.
Ideally you would verify the desired risetime at the input to your device.
Alternatively, you could use a network analyzer and calibrate the response up
the launch point. A second point of concern is the soldered transition from
the PCB trace to the 18" cables to your oscilloscope. This type of transition

will usually create a large discontinuity in your system, causing VSWR
problems. You should use a 50 ohm probe to transfer the signal from the PCB
the oscilloscope.

> 2) If my setup is correct then why do I see the dip at 1.3 GHz in my model.

I think you are seeing the effect of the impedance mismatches in your setup.

> 3) Can a 90 degree bend cause the kind of dip I am observing.

Yes, cables have to be bent very carefully. We usually keep the radius of
bends at least 10 times greater than the radius of the test cable itself.

-- Gary Otonari
    GigaTest Labs