RE: [SI-LIST] : Re: Backplane Board insertion problem

From: Mark Gill ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 09:33:42 PST

Recall that the planes still represent a capacitance (instant short
circuit), and with essentially no impedance to reduce the inrush of current,
plugging in the board is the same as attaching a small uncharged cap
directly to the backplane - a glitch. There are a number of approaches...a
simple one you can try is to place an inductor (simulate effects of size
first) in series with the power feeds. Be sure to add a diode in parallel
with the inductor so that when you withdraw the card, a large L di/dt does
not appear on the backplane (the diode becomes forward biased).

Mark