RE: [SI-LIST] : D/W vs. S/H

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 07:24:12 PST

S/H is used to calculate the differential (odd-mode) impedance between
traces in differential pairs.

W/H determines the even-mode (Zo) impedance of the trace. Whether the trace
is a stripline (the meat in a ground plane sandwich) or a microstrip (butter
on the top of a ground plane surface), the ratio of W/H is very important.

Get the UltraCad Impedance calculator (or one of your choice-- there are
many around the PCB materials [like search on FR-4] Web sites, and they are
all free downloads or active website applications) and play around for
awhile with the numbers. You'll soon see what the various dimensions do to
trace impedance, inductance and propagation velocity and get a feel for how
this all works out.

Larry Miller