RE: [SI-LIST] : D/W vs. S/H

From: Doug Hopperstad ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 07:24:04 PST

Jeff,
Thanks for your comments regarding my question. The ratio of the trace to
plane (H) to the trace-to-trace spacing (D) is the fundamental factors in
determining the crosstalk. Yes there are other considerations but the most
popular formula regarding crosstalk is the listed in the Howard Johnson's
book. The formula is: 1/(1+(D/H)^2). This formula will provide the crosstalk
coefficient. I try to keep the value between 0.015 - 0.03. The other ratio,
D/H, should be kept to at least a 4:1 ratio. By using these values, the
amount of crosstalk will generally be small enough for most applications.

Your question regarding why you don't want to use S/H vs. D/W can be
answered this way: the closer you keep the trace to the ground plane the
better the coupling you will achieve. Try to keep the trace as wide as you
can. There are a few reasons for keeping the trace wide: 1. With a wider
trace, the effects of manufacturing tolerances and board trace edging will
be minimized, 2. The wider trace provides more coupling area to the ground
plane.

Doug Hopperstad
QLogic Corporation