[SI-LIST] : re: [si-list] : 3d simulation software -- ansoft hfss vs. cst's microwave studio

From: [email protected]
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 06:56:33 PST

Dear Mr. Brenneman,

What you said is right : the readers of this list prefer opinions
from third parties rather than "opinions" from the software
vendors. Being in this position, one should restrict oneself to facts that are clear and unequivocal.
Your statement about our method is wrong. The method used in CST Microwave Studio delivers broadband results with
cascaded SPICE circuits even for structures longer
than a fraction of a wavelength.

I don't feel it's appropriate to go into more detail, or indeed to make any judgments about your approach and its limitations.
It might be more constructive to listen to the views held by software users on the practicability of both methods, rather than engaging in theoretical arguments with software manufacturers.

Bernhard Wagner

Dr.-Ing. Bernhard Wagner
Managing Director, Sales, Marketing, and Support

Computer Simulation Technology (CST) GmbH
B�dinger Str 2a, 64289 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel: +49 (0)6151 7303-0 , Fax: +49 (0)6151 7303-10
mailto:[email protected] , Website: http://www.cst.de

Hello Everyone, On Oct 23, Rich Marowsky of Stewart Connector Systems posted a question on this list, asking for the pros and cons of Ansoft HFSS vs. CST's Microwave Studio for connector modeling and full-wave Spice extraction. Ansoft recognizes that readers of the list prefer to read the opinions of neutral parties. Therefore, we usually refrain from posting to this list. However, in this case, we feel compelled to point out that to our knowledge Ansoft is the only company that can export full-wave Spice circuit models that are accurate over a broad bandwidth. We do this by producing reduced-order models of the poles and zeros of the electromagnetic device. (For details on how this is done, see "S-Domain Methods for Simultaneous Time and Frequency Domain Characterization of Electromagnetic Devices" by J. E. Bracken, D. K. Sun and Z. J. Cendes, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, volume 46, number 9, pp. 1277-1290, September, 1998.) To our knowledge, competing software tools form only topologically simple SPICE equivalent circuits that in general can only be matched to full-wave electromagnetic field simulation at a few frequency points. Full-wave Spice(TM) from Ansoft Corporation is the only method available today that yields a rigorous Spice equivalent circuit that is valid across a broad bandwidth. (For a recent article on how Full-wave Spice(TM) can be used to simulate a high-speed interconnect structure, see "Solving a High-Frequency Signal-Integrity Problem" by Linda Walling and Sergey Polstyanko, Microwaves and RF, pp. 63-66, October, 2000) Best Regards, -mike ----------------------------------------------------------------- Michael Brenneman Ansoft Corporation SI Group Manager, U.S./Sr. Technical Engineer, Asia phone: 408-261-9095 x201 fax: 408-261-1245 ----------------------------------------------------------------- "Marowsky, Rich" wrote: > > Hello Folks; > > Looking for Pros & Cons of Ansoft's HFSS, Vs CST's MicroWave Studios 3D > electrical simulation software. The application is connector modeling and > full-wave Spice circuit extraction. 1 -2 GHz Range > > Thanks! > > Rich Marowsky > Principle Product Test & Design Engineering > > Insilco Technologies -- Stewart Connector Systems > 11118 Susquehanna Trail South > Glen Rock, PA 17327 > Phone: 717-235-7512, Ext 3083 > Fax: 717-235-8414 > Email: "[email protected]