RE: [SI-LIST] : Linpar 2-D field solver experiences?

From: Gary Haussmann ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 13:25:07 PST

For standard single or differential tranmission line geometries, I
prefer
using linpar over building up a full complicated 3D model. The only
problem
I find is that the simulation output is not straightforward, especially
for
multiple lines. In my (admittedly old) version, you just get a dump of
modal voltages and currents and have to interpret--or write a program to
interpret--the output.

We once did a cross comparison by calculating the characteristic
impedence
between linpar, Wheeler's equation for a microstrip, and a 3D field
solver
(LC). The three agreed well enough that I don't bother with the
analytical
approximation for "standard" linpar configurations, unless I'm
cross-checking a configuration I haven't used before. Note that I didn't
rigorously check impedence and crosstalk for buses with 3+ lines, so I
can't
comment on how accurately it handles that sort of analysis.

Gary