RE: [SI-LIST] : Capacitor dielectric type

From: Bob Weber ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 06:11:27 PST

TK,

This will likely cause some discussion, but I avoid using NP0 or C0G
capacitors for bypassing because of their low ESR. Small value (1nF) X7R
capacitors have noticeable ESR (0.5ohm), but this is a good thing. It
provides a damping element to absorb the ringing that develops on the
power-ground planes due to parasitic resonances between the bypass
capacitors and the unavoidable inductance of the connections.

Bob W.