Re: [SI-LIST] : Connector pin pwr/gnd ratio

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 15:37:07 PST

Actually, the solid bar is not the asymptote.
There are cases with many connectors where
additional grounds are needed to shield adjacent
conductors. This is dependent upon the amount of
crosstalk that can be tolerated and the amount of
jitter across the connector that can be tolerated.

Just because the connector is controlled impedance
does not mean that there is not coupling between
adjacent signals or adjacent pairs of signals.
Jitter on differential pairs can become quite high
going through a connector if coupling to the adjacent
pair is not considered.

There is no general rule for the signal to power ratio
of a connector. It just depends on how much quiet
signal crosstalk you can tolerate and/or how much
jitter (skew) you can tolerate due to neighbors
switching.

regards,

scott

--