RE: [SI-LIST] : speaking of motors

From: Doug ([email protected])
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 11:09:04 PST

I would be very careful of ground bounce caused by
the motors switching. So your partitioning precaution
sounds good. Long ago, I had to use thru caps for
the leads from the motors. These were used as bulkhead
caps for leads prior to connecting to the board. They
eliminated the ground bounce.

Not sure what the advantage would be in separate power
planes. Regarding the ground planes, I would give some
serious thought how the analog side and the digital side
communicate to each other across split ground planes.

One possibility, I don't know the board enough, would
be to use one continuous ground plane, but place the
power/ground connector central on the board. That way
you can control how the return paths make it back to
a "single ground point" with your partitioning. You
still effectively separate the returns by that method
rather than trying to separate grounds and you still
maintain one continuous ground scheme. Not sure how
this would work on your board.

Just a suggestion.

Regards, Doug McKean