[SI-LIST] : speaking of motors

From: mr ([email protected])
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 09:54:01 PST

Hi everyone,
I'm designing a board that will drive 20+ stepper motors (some 5A) and a
few DC motors. This board also has a 50MHZ processor and several 1.8V
PLDs also running at 50MHZ. The board will be approx. 12" x 18" with
about 3000 parts on it.
Because I was concerned about switching noise in the digital circuits, I
have partitioned the voltages and the grounds: motor and digital on the
schematic. I am planning on 2 separate physical ground planes. I plan
that the digital section will be on one side in the corner, say the
lower quadrant, then the analog section will be in the rest of the
area. The through-hole connectors will be around the edge of the board.
There may be a need to put some of these through-hole connectors
somewhat away from the edge.
Is there any real value in separating the voltages?
How should these ground planes be connected? One or several ferrite
beads? Or is there another method I should be looking at?
How should the layers be stacked?
Any other areas I should be concerned about or take special precautions?

Thanks,
MReich