Re: [SI-LIST] : Question about Thin Flexible Coaxial cable

From: Bob Lewandowski ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 19:09:53 PST

Jerry,

Belden makes a type of "semi-rigid" coax that has a tin dipped round wire braid
shield, a teflon dielectric layer, and a solid center conductor. They call it
"Conformable Coax" and it comes in a variety of outer diameters down to .047
in. It's easily stripped with an Exacto knife, and because of the tin dip the
shield acts like a solid tube. You can solder the shield directly to a ground
pad area on a circuit board, and the center conductor to a trace. By keeping
things very short, you can get a very clean (low reflection) launch into the
cable. It's significantly more flexible than the solid jacketed semi-rigid
coax, and has pretty good impedance characteristics.

Check out their web site for details: http://www.belden.com/products/np140.htm

It's great stuff!

---Bob Lewandowski
    Vixel Corp.