RE: [SI-LIST] : Routing Differential Pairs as 100 differentially Vs individually 50 ohm lines

From: Boris Yost ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 06:45:58 PST

[This was sent once yesterday, but seems to have been routed to the trash.
If you received it twice my apologies--Boris]

1) Yeah, you need to specify the differential impedance between 2 traces.
2) No, the issues are how close is the ground plane and how close is the
aggressor. If the ground plane is far away and the aggressor is close, one
line will get more noise than the other. But you're not supposed to do
that.
3) Thicknesses and dimensions scale with each other. 5 mils to the plane
means very thin traces. Giant dielectrics means aggressors must be kept
very far away.
Since you got me to wonder about it I ran it through Hyperlynx. See
attached. Orange trace (LVDS minus) is closer than the red trace to a
ultrafast CMOS aggressor source-terminated with 56 ohms. Because they don't
track in parallel, you have common-mode.

Boris