RE: [SI-LIST] : Matched Length Traces

From: Chris Rokusek ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 18:09:48 PST

Andrew,

Just an opinion...

The comment appears to stem from the effect of NEAR fields increasing when
traces are looped or folded back. I assume this because there is mention of
"probing the board."

I disagree with the recommendation to avoid loops or 180 degree turns
because:

1) One cannot conclude that a strong NEAR field will always map to a strong
FAR field. Especially when the NEAR field is well-controlled in the sense
that the trace's return is a plane.

2) For this particular case your trace separation (XTalk margins) should
have been defined in such a way that the NEAR field cannot be coupled
significantly onto another trace anyway.

In fact, a very weak near field that is carried by a very efficient antenna
is a much bigger problem to concern yourself with (think common-mode
currents on return planes).

Yes there is definitely a correlation between near and far field deltas for
many cases, but for this particular case it sounds like an
over-generalization.

Again, just an opinion,

Chris Rokusek
Innoveda