RE: [SI-LIST] : How to measure IBIS model form a Chip?

From: Tom Dagostino ([email protected])
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 17:38:05 PST

The measurements are relatively easy to do. All you need is 2 power
supplies or a curve tracer. One supply powers the device and the other
sweeps V over the limits of interest. For a tristated output you need to
place the output in a low state and sweep from about -1.2 to Vcc. Put the
output in a high state and sweep from 0 to Vcc + 1.2 volts. Then tristate
the output and sweep from -1.2 to Vcc + 1.2. From these waveforms you can
then deemed the pull up and pull down from the clamps. We use a voltage
step of about 20 mV. The supplies used must be able to sink and source
current. To complete the model you need to extrapolate from the measurement
limit to 2*Vcc to -Vcc.

We have used this kind of method on over 12,000 parts

Tom Dagostino
IBIS and Tau Modeling Manager
SDD
Mentor Graphics Corp.