[SI-LIST] : High Speed AC Coupling

From: Golian, Alexander ([email protected])
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 13:45:08 PST

Help!

I am designing with an optical transponder that is designed to accept a PECL
level electrical signals at 2.5GB/s. The driver outputs CML level
electrical signals. I have to AC couple the signal to make the voltage
levels compatible. The vendor said any old 0.01uf capacitor would do, but I
can't beleive this. I would expect a general purpose capacitor at 0.01uf to
become increasingly inductive past 1GHz already. I would expect that the
capacitor would have to be good out to 12GHz as to not attenuate the first 5
harmonics. Does anyone out there have a good suggestion? I have seen some
very wide band DC blocks. What, if any, is the difference between a DC
blocking cap, and a AC coupling cap?

Thanks

Alex