Re: [SI-LIST] : Mentor Graphics ICX

From: [email protected]
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 08:34:48 PDT

I concur with Brad. I have been an ICX user for over fours years now and
have had excellent results. The tool's most impressive feature is it's
ease of use. It is geared toward the electrical engineer that understands
that signal integrity and timing is important but not necessarily an "SI"
expert. You can set-up electrical rules and physical rules based on
terminology that the typical EE understands. If you are more of the "SI"
type, the tool can be manipulated with the precision you desire. My
biggest problem with the tool is something Brad indicated below "when used properly..". Too many users try to use the analysis features only and do not take
advantage of the impressive pwb router and placement features.
Every PWB layout person I have trained in how the place and route features
work prefer them over the standard placement tools. The learning curve on
this tool is very short!!

Over the past four years, I have been involved in over 30 complex pwb
designs from 6U to 9U, 2 to 24 layers, 10 to 500MHz and to date I can
honestly state that we are have not seen a single signal integrity issue
on any of these design since we started using the tool (that's first
article and prototypes).
With any tool you buy it really is as only as good as the people who
support you.You are always going to come up with some senerio that hasn't
been tryed before. With ICX, I have received nothing but the best from
the AE's and support guys. (That is my kiss up to Tony because I too know
he is watching...)

The combination of knowledge, support and tools can go a long way to the
success of high speed digital designs and with ICX in the mix you can't go
wrong.

Stacy Gore
Raytheon
Garland Texas