RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: PCI routing rules

From: Lynne Green ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 18:38:33 PDT

Doug-

Use a pre-layout simulator to test various distances and check
pin-to-pin delays, so you can go into layout with the proper
length and termination constraints.

Speed varies about +/- 5% in FR4, depending on eps_r, which in
turn depends on manufacturing process. Add another 5% or so
variation with dielectric thickness.

Also, speed can be different for inner layers vs. outer layers,
depending on the number of signal layers between planes, and
on whether you have any surface dielectrics (such as a solder
mask layer).

Check out the HyperLynx Stackup Editor to see how significant
the variations might be for your boards.
http://www/hyperlynx.com

- Lynne

Dr. Lynne Green
Technical Marketing Engineer