Re: [SI-LIST] : Variability of Supply voltages

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 12:56:59 PDT

Well, I would (meaning all 9 combinations).

Suppose you use independent DC-DCs to produce all the voltages (we do, for 3.3 and
2.5). It means, that each one of them is totally independent of another. And the
min-max initial setup point does not really depend on the input voltage, so you
cannot assume, that if one goes to max, so will another. The initial setup, due to
very high precision of regulation in todays DC-Dcs is almost solely the function of
component precision.

Now, suppose, you derive 2.5 from 3.3 by using a linear regulator. Again, for the
linear, the output is not solely a function of the input; it is rather the function
of the internal gain and the reference accuracy. So, your output may be at maximum,
when the input is at minimum and vice versa.

The only case I can think of when everything is at max/min at the same time is when
you use dual/triple voltage DC-DC; then, since the regulation inside the DCDC is
done using one voltage, and others are just simply rectified from different winding
taps of the output transformer, they will follow the voltage, that is regulated and
will follow it to max or min.

Mike.