Re: [SI-LIST] : Timing on a large board

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 10:23:03 PDT

Juergen,

How many stubs do you have on any given LVDS line on your backplane? If it is not
point-to-point, in the first place equalizing LVDS diff pairs on the board would be
a bad idea, since you want to keep stubs on your boards 1" or shorter. Again, only
if it is not point-to-point. Otherwise it's fine.

The 7ns difference would account for 42 (3.5 feet) inches, and you said your board
is roughly foot and a half. If the traces do not wiggle, and it is not some kind of
reflection you see - where the 7ns skew comes from? YOu should see no more than 3ns
skew worst case..

The driver of 10125 can drive 50 Ohm line; if you have space problem - use 75/100
Ohm lines (will make traces thinner and you could pack more of them), and since you
are point-to-point (TTL-to-LVDS input), use series termination; it will save you
instant drive current versus end-AC termination and power consumption versus
Thevenin split.

Mike.