RE: [SI-LIST] : Power Planes

From: Heard, Chris ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 05:52:42 PDT

David,

At 3.3v, you'll have 40Amps. I'd be comfortable with two 1 oz copper planes
for this voltage (two 1oz planes for gnd also). 1.2W/sq inch is alot and
will come down to package specifics. Large ceramic BGAs with a 0.8C/Watt
Theta JC will be a much better choice than small pqfp packages with 9C/Watt.
Time to start considering impellers to move air if you're worried about
operation during a failure too. 20A over a 10"x10" board on a single plane
isn't much...

Regards,
Chris