RE: [SI-LIST] : FW: Spectraquest Vs. XTK/XNS

From: ´^¤lªY ([email protected])
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 23:58:51 PDT

Heiko,
        From your response about your simulation software which can
estimate/calculate/approach the differential-mode and common-mode emissions
based on SigXp and Power plane Designer tools respectively, I'm very curious
about it because we are a SQ user and using the SigXp for SI pre-sim. But we
don't know how to do the differential-mode emission in SigXp because SigXp
can not deal with the return path problem (including split plane) and it
considers an ideal plane for signal reference according to my understanding.

        Yes, SigXp uses the so called "method of moments", but it doesn't
mean it can do the Power/Gnd plane noise problems, such as the return path
mentioned by you. This is because we have to use more accurate and
complicated plane model to express the equipment circuit, then implement
into simulator for further simulation. So, we can get the exact prediction
for EMC/EMI cure, otherwise it's just a lemon. The another issue is that the
simulation time you expend. As we know, it will take much time for Power/Gnd
plane noise simulation, even for one net. But in SigXp, it doesn't take much
time to get one net simulation (SI waveform, not noise waveform). So that's
why I'm so curious and suspected. Can you explain it in detail, meanwhile,
how long does it (SigXp/Power plane Design) take for noise return path of
one very simple net??

Best regards
Smith Peng
Email: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>