Re: [SI-LIST] : Cavity Resonant frequecy and radiated EMI

From: S. Weir ([email protected])
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 23:41:44 PDT

Keng-Kok,

The resonant frequency of the box gives some measure of how difficult
common mode suppression will be at certain frequencies. The closer you get
to the box resonance, the less attenuation you will get. However, your
problem does not sound like box resonance.

100-150MHz emission is pretty broad-band. Usually, emissions will line up
either on clocks and their harmonics, or on carriers.

There are a couple of reasons that ferrite inside the box didn't
work. Clamp-on ferrites work to defeat common mode noise between the sum
of the conductors, and shield in the cable and earth. If your cable is
shielded to the box beyond the ferrite, then you get attenuation between
the box, and the driving end of the cable. But, since the ferrite is
inside the box, you do not get attenuation between the box common mode and
earth.

If the cable is not well shielded to the box, then the answer may be in a
brain-teaser presented by Doug Smith about 8 months back. Your 430mm cable
extension represents close to 1/4 wavelength in the 100-150MHz range for
Cu. By placing a ferrite on the cable at the box exit, the cable has a
high impedance at that end, and the 1/4 wavelength causes an impedance
inversion at the other. So, the free end of the cable ends-up with a low
impedance which does not couple well to free-space, and your EMI gets
attenuated. If you double your cable length on the outside, you may find
that you EMI goes up by more than 10db, with the same ferrite configuration.

Regards,

Steve.