RE: [SI-LIST] : ESR and Q factor

From: Larry Smith ([email protected])
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 09:33:37 PDT

Chris - Robert Weber and Steve Weir have already posted good responses
concerning the stability of the feedback loop and the the fact that you
can leave in some high frequency, low ESR capacitors without major
problems. Your solution of a series resistor for the ceramic cap will
work. A further comments:

A 10 uF capacitor and 1 uF capacitor have slopes on a bode plot that are
20 dB apart. A 0.1 uF cap is 20 dB above that. The lower valued
capacitors affect the 'transfer function' of the network at a much higher
frequency than the 10 uF capacitor. The 'open loop' gain and phase
should have enough margin so that the high frequency capacitors do not
cause any harm to the stability of the loop.

I like to establish a target impedance (resistive) and then select
capacitors such that the parallel combination of all ESR's at each
capacitor's individual resonant frequency forms a fairly flat impedance
over a broad frequency range. This avoids stability problems in the
regulation loop as well as nasty surprises (anti resonances) when
inductive components bump into capacitive components on an impedance vs
frequency curve.

regards,
Larry Smith,
Sun Microsystems