RE: [SI-LIST] : Question on propogation of high freq. signal in conductors

From: prasanna kumar ([email protected])
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 05:58:31 PDT

Hi all,
Thanks for the answers.But i still dont have my doubts
cleared.
I have learnt about skin effect but had the idea that
it is only concerned with EM waves travelling from one
medium(say air) to another(a conductor).I am unable to
digest the concept of using skin effect here.Please
clarify.
And why is it that more flux is linked with inner part
of a conductor so that by Lenz's law the opposing
force for current is high and hence no current flows
in the inner parts of the conductor?
As quoted by Mr.Clewell,
   "'First slice a wire lengthwise to make concentric
tubes, like growth rings on a tree trunk. Now if you
consider the inductance of each ring separately
the inner rings would be long and skinny and have more
inductance than the outer rings which are fatter.'
and what here is meant by sayin that the inner rings
are long and skinny?Why should the inductance be more
for such rings?"
Thanks,
Prasanna.