Re: [SI-LIST] : Question on propogation of high freq. signal in conductors

From: [email protected]
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 10:57:43 PDT

Prasanna
 Kumar wrote:

>i have a small doubt.
>in high frequencies why does the signal is confined
>only to the surface of the conductor?
>ie,(if i am putting it right)why does the current
>flows only at the surface of the conductor?
>thanks.

here is an informal plausibility explanation.

1. The only way to have current inside a conductor
   is to have a non zero E field in there.
2. The only way to get an E field into a conductor is
   to propagate it in from the outside.
3. High frequency EM fields are strongly attenuated
   inside good conductors.
4. Net result, the only place in a conductor where
   we can establish high frequency E fields and hence
   high frequency currents is in the thin region
   near the surface.