RE: [SI-LIST] : Signal Dispersion

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 09:37:17 PDT

Hi George

While I agree with you about the causes of distortion that you mention, there
are others and other effects aw well.

The parasitics L and C you mention below are certainly present, and their effect
is to cause "group delay" which causes edge dispersion.

However, in addition to scin effect losses there are dielectric losses and ratiation
losses, all of which contribute to edge dispersion. Cable/PCB equalizers in fact
are designed for the frequency dependent loss compensation and for group delay
compensation. The literature is sparse and much is old but it is around.

Above 1 Ghz Dielectric losses dominate.

Ron Miller