Re: [SI-LIST] : skin effect

From: Doug ([email protected])
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 18:57:56 PDT

Sunil Kumar wrote:

> Doug
>
> I have found that my view is shared by S. Kim and D.P.Neikirk of
> University of Texas in their paper "Compact Equivalent Circuit Model for
> the Skin Effect" In IEEE MTT-S Digest 1996. You can find this paper at the
> following URL:
>
> http://weewave.mer.utexas.edu/MED_files/MED_research/Intrcncts/Skin_Effect_Ldr
> /MTT_96_skn_ldr.html

It's no secret that the skin effect may have something
to do with impedance. I read in the early 80's this
type of analysis in a book written by a Prof. Moon out
of MIT. The title of that book escapes me but he wrote
it in conjunction with his wife Dr. Domina Spencer a math
professor at the University of Connecticut. A great book
if I remember correctly. Not the same analysis as
S. Kim and D.P.Neikirk above, though.

My specific criticism has to do with the simulation
showing no comparison of phase between the proposed
model and reality. And my own though certainly not
original opinion of the skin effect has to do with
the Lorentz force. So the fact that this effect may
be imitated with some circuit model is fine with me.
There's just a little more work that has to be done
to prove to me it's a valid model.

S. Kim and D.P.Neikirk certainly have presented a
great a paper. If it indeed proves itself out,
then good!