[SI-LIST] : skin effect

From: Muhammad S. Sagarwala ([email protected])
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 09:45:11 PDT

Hello Si Gurus,

I just had an interesting discussion with my boss on "skin effect on pcb traces".
I was of the opinion that increasing the trace thickness from 1/2 oz. to 1oz. would help reduce the
skin effect but according to him skin effect does not reduce significantly with the increase in trace thickness.
He was of the opinion ( and also had some data to back him up) that skin effect is more dependent on the
width of the trace.

I always thought that if one increases the overall perimeter of the pcb trace - regardless of whether it is done by
increasing the width or increasing the thickness - the skin effect would reduce. I would appreciate if somebody
could come up with a better explanation...

Muhammad

p.s.: when we talked about pcb traces we were talking about striplines in particular...

Muhammad S. Sagarwala
Design Engineer
Schlumberger SABER
Ph. (408) 586 7065