Re: [SI-LIST] : hi-speed bd materials

From: Mitch Morey ([email protected])
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 18:48:48 PDT

Hi Sean,

I've done designs at 2.5Ghz using FR4 material, and the engineer(s)
didn't have a problem with it. The problem might be design inherent
though, in your case. The engineer I worked with did ALOT of greenfield
simulations on hsi signal traces and came up with some very specific
requirements for the layout. BUT! it worked beautifully. The next test
was to do it with Getek material and see if there was a difference, but
since it worked on FR4 material they said "screw that idea.", hence...
no data.

As for a contact for Getek, give Jeannie Newhart a call at GE Plastics:
(800)376-8598. She did wonders for us. Gave us a "unique" Excel
spreadsheet program for the material, talked with the engineers "in
their terms", and did a VERY convincing job. Tell he I said hi. If you
can't do it with FR4 or Getek material, there's more to this arguement
than just the 800Mhz requirement.

Just my $.02 worth.

Mitch Morey
Sr PCB Designer