Re: [SI-LIST] : copper finish/copper oxidation on pcb

From: [email protected]
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 21:37:00 PDT

Pat, Craig,

I believe you are referring to OSP (organic solderability preservative).
Typical OSP's are rosin or resin bases (see patent 5,176,749 granted 1993) or
thermally stable azoles (see patent 4,373,656 granted 1983). One alternative
is the use of benzotrizole followed by a solvent or water based preflux (see
"Enhanced SMT Solderability with No HASL", IPC Technical Review, Dec 1990).
A third alternative is PADS (plasma assisted dry soldering) (this is still a
new technique and I don't know any board house that has started using this
method -- if anyone knows one please post it).

Harold L. Snyder, Jr.
Scientist & Consultant

Begin Included Message: