Re: [SI-LIST] : x-talk saturation

From: Jan Vercammen ([email protected])
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 01:21:38 PDT

fethi,

the discussion in Paul's book is about quasi-TEM. Your correct. However, for most
practical applications the quasi-TEM mode is a good approximation. Even when you
take into account the full wave nature of the problem, the situation is very
likely not that much different.
The propagation modes that exist are but linear indepenedent solutions to the partial
differential equations that describe the multiconductor problem. For the full-wave
analysis the solutions are more complex than the ones of the quasi-TEM, but this does
not change anything from my previous discussion. Once you excite a multiconductor system
a linear superposition of modes is created, where each mode travels with its own velocity
and attenuation characteristics. In general the mode velocities and attenuation are
frequency dependent and they will give rise to dispersion (both amplitude and phase
distortion). This complicates matters. It is not that bad to analyse "ideal' transmission
lines in order to understand the physics of what is happening.
You can go even further an analyse modes that are related to the radiation of
electromagnetic waves from the multiconductor system (e.g. to estimate radiaton lossess).
This analysis is very complex and very difficult (or impossible) analytically.

I personally have the book on multiconductor modeling by Niels Fache, Frank
Olyslager and Daniel De Zutter (Oxford Science). I also have met Dr. de Zutter a
view times and he is very well in the position to answer such questions as the one
opamp (strange nickname) asked. But unfortunately Dr De Zutter is not enlisted on
si-list.

regards,
Jan Vercammen
Agfa-Gevaert NV