[SI-LIST] : Tools for high-speed interconnect design

From: Perry Qu ([email protected])
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 13:34:43 PDT

Hello, everyone:

This topic has been brought up several times but I still want to have
some idea from you as to what tools you use and when you use them.

For digital designers, one of the major concern is the waveform they get
at the devices pins. Such job is most efficiently done using traditional
tools like HSPICE, XTK, etc., which can handle the active device models
with non-linear characteristics.

However, when the speed of signal get faster and faster, the
discontinueties such as vias has to modelled properly. To get this
done, full wave field solver such as Ansoft HFSS, which was
traditionally aimed for RF/microwave/antenna design may have to be used.
But the problem with field solver is that they usually does not support
active device models (correct me if I'm wrong). My question is, how do
you guys utilize results from field solver in your circuit simulation ?
As far as I know, one approach is to build an equivalent circuit for the
interconnect under study, optimize the RLC values so that the S
parameters from the equivalent circuit match that of the HFSS
simulation. Is this approach the common one used by SI engineers ? Any
other approachs that you use and the tools you used ? Please share with
me your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Perry