Re: [SI-LIST] : Ethernet RJ-45 connectors

From: Doug McKean ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 12:05:00 PDT

Jan Vercammen wrote:

> -4- one category 5 RJ-45 connector drawing carried the following statement: "jack
> cavitiy conforms to FCC rules and regulations, part 68 subpart F". I assume that
> this is related to safety and isolation voltages?

I'll just footnote Larry's excellent comments
with a couple of comments.

FCC Part 68 deals with connection to the telephone line.
An RJ-45 connector can provide that. If you are using the
RJ-45s for strictly Ethernet, you've nothing to worry about
from Part 68. That note is when the connectors are used
for telephone purposes.

In regards to safety and isolation voltages, yes you
are correct. The "spirit" of the Part 68 is to protect
the line AND the user in terms of catastrophic failure.

It protects the line from attached equipment whereby
some catastrophic failure primary voltages inside the
device are crossed over to the telephone line.

It protects the user the other way round. A catastrophic
failure in this sense is also a a crossed line condition.
A car could knock down a pole causing street power to
cross over to the telephone line and thus the user.

- Doug