RE: [SI-LIST] : Merits of low dielectric constant

From: Bob McCowan ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 08:12:35 PDT

Loss and size are probably the issue. There is an upper limit to the outer
diameter for a coaxial conductor. Make it too big and circular waveguide
modes can propagate. The maximum outer conductor size scales as
(epsilon)^-1/2 and as (freq)^-1. Also, for a given impedance the ratio of
the outer to inner conductor diameters are determined by the dielectric
constant of the insulator. The higher the dielectric constant the greater
the ratio. This makes for extremely small inner conductors for mm-wave
frequencies, giving a lot of loss.

Also, the wavelength is shorter in higher dielectrics. This translates to
more loss per inch due to dielectric loss. Add that to the increased
conductor loss because of the small inner conductor and you have a
hard-to-make lossy cable.

Bob McCowan
Physicist/Sr. Engineer

CPI Beverly Microwave Division