Re: [SI-LIST] : pcb plane cap and mixed bypass cap value....

From: Josip Popovic ([email protected])
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 05:19:29 PDT

Speaking about VLSI circuits:

During some SSO (or SSN) and cross talk simulations I realized that
internal decoupling (Cdi) would actually increase probability of false
triggering input buffers (IOs from the same device). Overall rail noise
was lower but rails, since Cdi was added, would follow each other -
noise on gnd rail was distributed by Cdi to pwr rail and vice versa. I
see two difficulties with added Cdi:

1. Since rail noise is in phase input buffers are more susceptible to
false triggering due to dynamic thresholds (P and N transistors could
change their states in the same time: if input voltage is fixed and
high, P is closed (doesn't conduct) and N is open. If gnd rail due to
SSO goes high, pwr rail follows the gnd rail with a positive voltage
bump due to Cdi - the P can get open and N can get closed. Of course
there are different input buffer configurations.)

2. Oscillations on power rails due to Cdi and L_package_leads that form
a resonant circuit with very high Q (long setup times and high
voltages).

Any thoughts?

Josip